Computer Resources at the Library
Computers are available during all library hours. Support is available weekdays for assistance with our computers and applications, a computer consultant is also available: normal hours are 8:30 am to 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm. On weekends help is available for using some library equipment and software and with laptops.
Laser printers, activated by debit cards purchased from the card dispenser/regenerator in the photocopy area, produce black and white prints for $.05/page. Color prints are $.50/page, speak with a staff member regarding color prints. Printers are located in the Library and the Learning Center. Wireless printing from your laptop is available (currently not available for Mac users).
Computers located in the virtual reference area of the library, include 10 computers and scanners, the group study rooms each contain a computer with wall-mounted plasma screens and wireless keyboards/mice; contact a staff member to obtain peripheral hardware. A USC computer account is required for login to these computers. Available hardware and software is described below.
- Dell Optiplex GX620, Pentium 4, 3.2 GHZ, 1 GB RAM, CDRW/DVD, 1.44 MB DISK DRIVE (JAWREF6, JAWREF8, JAWREF9, JAWREF10)
- Dell Optiplex 755, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.16 GHZ, 2 GB RAM, CDRW/DVD, 1.44 MB DISK DRIVE (JAWREF4, JAWREF5, JAWREF7)
- Dell Optiplex 760, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.33 GHZ, 2 GB RAM, DVD+/-RW (JAWREF1, JAWREF2, JAWREF3)
- Dell Optiplex 755, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.16 GHZ, 2 GB RAM, DVD+/-RW, 1.44 MB DISK DRIVE (GROUP STUDY ROOM 1, GROUP STUDY ROOM 2)
- Dell Optiplex GX260, Pentium 4, 2.4 GHZ, 512 MB RAM, CD-ROM, 1.44 MB DISK DRIVE (LC1 – LC38)
- Over 200 programs, including educational software, productivity software, Internet tools, information resources, and decision aids.
Three InfoStations located throughout the library, provide access to the Wilson Dental Library HELIX catalog which also provides search capability of the University Libraries HOMER catalog.
Note: There are two computers that provide limited access to to USC email and some resources located across from the front desk.
Available throughout the library. See Connecting with USCnet, USC Wireless, and Internet Service Providers for more details on accessing USC-restricted information resources with USC wireless.
Laptop Connection Ports
Eight Ethernet connections to ResNet, the university residential network for laptop users, are located in the Reading Room of the library. Specific hardware and registration are required.